Monday, September 2, 2013

Review: The Ballad by Ashley Pullo


Disclaimer—This is a work of fiction intended for a mature audience. The lack of violence, virgins, love triangles, tragedies and alpha-stalking males may not be suitable for all readers. The Ballad is a Modern Romance designed to involve the reader in the authenticity of life, love and all things in between.

Chloe LeGrange is a singer/songwriter guided by her internal rhythm and raw emotions. Adam Ford is a sexy attorney, disciplined and emotionally guarded. Her impulsive behavior is counter-balanced by his calm composure but a stable relationship can often divert one’s own path to self-discovery.

The Ballad is written in the unique narrative style of Chloe’s lyrical approach to life, with unpredictable crescendos and intimate verses.
How does love start?
When does love end?
Or maybe it’s the middle of the story that really counts, the part when life happens, either propelling the relationship into a beautiful romance or dissolving into a predictable wasteland. Join Chloe and Adam on their journey through the picturesque streets of Brooklyn, so passionate and intense that a simple love story becomes a romantic ballad.


So, this book completely took me by surprise.  I stumbled across it through a post on Facebook of all places and figured why not give it a shot.  

I couldn't put it down.

The story starts in the summer of 2013 and works its way backwards, telling the story of the immense love between Chloe and Adam.  I wasn't sure how that was going to work really, knowing results before the set up.  I love a good Happy Ever After, but this is a Happy Ever Beginning and I'll admit to being a bit confused.  But holy cow, by the third chapter I was loving the concept.

It was like taking a jigsaw puzzle apart slowly piece by pieceInstead of seeing a bunch of jumbled parts in the beginning, we see how each individual moment fits with the others to create the bigger picture.  We see how seemingly insignificant words, phrases, actions become so much more to Chloe and Adam, but not in a glaring "a-ha!" way.  And that's what I really loved.  Don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for Lloyd Dobbler moments, but I also love the little things.  The pinky touches, the silly words, the stories told in secret whispers that only they know.  I love layers.

Ms. Pullo writes beautifully.  Her words and the composition of the story have almost a lyrical quality that make The Ballad seem more than just the title of the story.  The ebbs and flows of the relationship between Adam and Chloe read like song and it is one that I want to listen to over and over.

This review was really difficult to write and Im hoping that when I reread it later, it will make more sense.  But if you take one thing away from my ramblings, it is this - please please please go check this story out.  I finished it 3 days ago and I haven't been able to get it out of my head.

 

2 comments:

  1. My bedside table's going to collapse under the weight of the books I keep adding from your reviews. ;)

    ReplyDelete