Monday, June 3, 2013

Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas


Holy crow.  I was absolutely blown away by this book.  Blown. Away.   Assassins and magic and fairies (but not like Tinkerbell) and challenges and this whole fantasy world...gah, I loved it.  You know how when you get really really excited about something but can't really put it into words so you just smile and wave your hands and smile and maybe giggle a little bit and smile some more...  Yeah, that's me right now.

I absolutely love stories with strong heroines and this story has the strongest of them all.  Celaena Sardothien is an assassin.  Yup, assassin.  And the best there is...except, when the story opens, she is imprisoned as a slave in a salt mine. 

Prince Dorian selects her as his champion in a contest to become the King's Assassin.  Pitted against thieves, soldiers and even other assassins, if Celaena can win, she must serve the King for 4 years.  Then she regains her freedom.  If she loses, she goes back to the mines and certain death.

Choal Westfall is Captain of the Guard and is in charge of Celaena's training.  He also doesn't trust her for a second...at first. 

“You have the skills,” Chaol said, “but some of your moves are still undisciplined.”
“That’s never stopped me from killing before,” she spat.
Chaol chuckled at her agitation and pointed his sword at the rack, allowing her to get to her feet. “Pick another—something different. Make it interesting, too. Something that will make me sweat, please.”
“You’ll be sweating when I skin you alive and squish your eyeballs beneath my feet,” she muttered, picking up the rapier.
“That’s the spirit.”
She practically threw the rapier into place, and drew the hunting knives without hesitation.
My dear old friends.
A wicked smile spread across her face.”


As they train and as rounds of the competition progress however, he starts to see her as a person and not as a danger to his Prince or King. 

As the story advances, things happen -- well, obviously or it would be a very short book :)  But really, there are murders and Fae and deception and maybe even a hit of a love triangle...but romance isn't the focus of the story.  This is truly a fantasy book and after reading it, I wonder why I don't read more in this genre.  I am clamoring for more!

Sarah Maas has created a fantasy world that has totally drawn me in.  It was balanced and well-written and there wasn't a sub-plot or character that annoyed me -- not even the bad guys.  Crown of Midnight, the next book in the series, is out this August and I WANT IT NOW!   




1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love your review! I'm definitely following after reading that.

    As I said on your TTT post, I've heard some good things about Throne Of Glass, but I didn't really know a whole lot about it before now. But it really looks right up my alley, and will definitely be in my hands before long.

    ReplyDelete